Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Just Some Random Art & Stuff


The top is from a photo of a friend's calf. "Baby" (acryilc on canvas). We estimate at the time I took the photo he was just hours old. I had this painting upstairs but the kids insisted I bring it down. The second is a pair of random still-lifes (acrylic on canvas) using some of my favorite colors. Red, black, green. The Third painting is called "In Dreams" (mixed media: oil and acrylic on wood). Because it is, literally, from a dream I had. The bottom painting is based on a photo I took in Ghana, Africa.
 It's called "Ghanaian Mother," AKA "The Virgin Mary in Ghana." Here's the back story:

We were outside of Kumasi and had slowed down in heavy traffic. Dozens of women with babies on their backs attempted to sell us fruit. Bananas, Mangos, Plantains.

Our driver kept slowly moving; ignoring the sellers, until one particular woman managed to get quite close to our van.

“Brother, buy some fruit,” she said.

“What is your name?” our host, a priest, asked.

The young woman quickly glanced at our vehicle’s lettering. St. Ann School.

“My name is Mary,” she said, batting her eyelashes.

The priest let out a boisterous laugh. “Yeah, I bet your name is Mary,” to which the young woman giggled, admitting her mild deception.

We bought four mangos and three bananas.

I asked if I could take her picture, and she graciously obliged. Her baby was absolutely beautiful. And content.

I couldn't help but imagine, as we trudged along the busy streets, a young Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus on her back. Tending a garden, fetching water, cooking fish for her husband and son. More often than not, tired and worn out. Still, our Savior rested comfortably. 

Knowing He was loved by His Mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment